HOME
THE SHIPS
    The York
    The Discovery
    The Warrior
    The Success
    The Defense
    The Bellerophon
THE HULK MASTERS
REVIEW EXCERPTS
THE INTRODUCTION
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
BUY THE BOOK
CONTACT
LINKS
GALLERY
THE WARRIOR
The Warrior, pictured here in the atypical position of being tied up to the dock, was a decommissioned naval vessel, acquired, retrofitted and pressed into service as a prison hulk at Woolwich in 1840 by John Capper who, for thirty years, was Manager of the Hulk Establishment. During the earliest of those years Capper made improvements and provided competent oversight of the hulks. Soon enough, however, he became inactive and allowed conditions aboard the vessels to deteriorate. Warrior continued in service until 1856, typically housing 400 convicts. She was one of the last of the hulks in English waters.